Recap and Products Used - None of these are affiliate links.
- Buy all necessary hair accessories before you leave for BMT.
- Hair accessories must match your hair color. No black hair ties on blonde hair! This is why it's essential to buy your items before you leave, especially if you're a blonde!
- Remember that you can't take liquids over 100 ml on the plane - as many as you can put into a quart-sized Ziploc bag. Don't buy huge products and expect to bring them with you. Buy what you can in the mini-mall and if you need something specific, have your family/friends/spouse send it to you.
- I use the Conair Bun Maker, but you can buy them in black and blond at Sally's Beauty Supply. The Conair one only comes in brown. Buy at least two, as they fall apart.
- A popular hair gel for straight hair is Got2B Glued. If you don't use that, grab one of the large, generic hair gels. At home, I prefer Herbal Essences Set Me Up hair gel.
- Spray gel is a fantastic product to finish off your bun. It is not available at the mini-mall. Have a friend/family member/spouse send you some. While at BMT, my BFF sent me Ion Anti-Frizz Gel Styling Mist, from Sally's. It worked really well, smelled good, and lasted a long time. At home, I like Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray Gel, which you can find at Walmart and some drugstores. When I found it graduation weekend at CVS, I bought two bottles to take to tech school.
- Hairspray is fine for finishing off your style, but spray gel is easier to work with. Many of the girls (regardless of race) used Pump It Up! hair spray which smells great and has really great hold.
- The mini-mall sells specialty hair products for women of color, including gels and hair sprays.
- Bring hair pins and bobby pins to use with your mesh donut. If you have short hair or lots of flyaways, the mini bobby pins are great!
Good luck! It takes some practice, but you'll learn how to do it really quickly, and without the use of a mirror! I liked to prop my tupperware up on the urinal, since most of the rest of the trainees were crowded around the sinks.