Saturday, April 30, 2011

30 Days and a 10K!

First things first,

I leave for BMT in 30 days!

Aiyee!  Tomorrow is also the 1st of May, which means it's all downhill from here!  Crazy to think that just a few months ago I was taking my enlistment oath and taking up running for the first time.

Secondly, I was buzzing around Facebook yesterday when I saw a posting from Carson MWR about a 5K/10K/Army 10-Miler Qualifying Run today.  The entry fee was only $5 and it was a running day for me anyway, so why not?  The weather forecast called for a 30% chance of snow and 40° temps.  Colorado is really unpredictable, so I figured I'd wait and see what it was like this morning.  I don't have problems running in the cold, I just didn't want the roads to be icy or slick.

Luckily, the morning brought sunshine and fairly clear skies, despite chilly weather.  I put on my "squishy" pants, a moisture-wicking base layer, my running hat, and my new arm warmers.  I threw on the gloves for the run, but I passed on my fleece.  Breakfast was some yogurt, an Ensure, and loads of water - I can't tell you how many times I hit the bathroom before the start of the race!

Ready to rock out my first 10K!

I figured I'd run the 10K at least, but I was interested in finding out more info about the 10-Miler.  Turns out, it's for the Army team for the race, and it's only for active duty soldiers.  That was an easy decision, 10K it is!  There wasn't a huge number of participants, but for a small fee and a small turnout, we still got a number and a t-shirt.  They had a nice selection of snacks and beverages too.  Most of the other participants were military service members.  This was definitely not like my last 5K, which was a "come one, come all."  This was not a walk/run, it was a run.  That was both exciting and motivating.

The 10-Milers and the 10K crowd both took off at the same time.  When the gun went off, the runners in front of me took off.  I had positioned myself in the back of the pack, and I stayed there for most of the race.  When we first jumped off, I had to get myself in check.  Running behind those 10-Milers meant I was moving at way too fast of a pace for little ol' me to maintain.  I settled into my groove and got comfortable watching everyone run in front of me.  At one point I was running alongside COL Robert McLaughlin, the Garrison Commander.  I've actually spoken with him quite a bit at other events, as his son attends my school.

The race followed the dirt trails that wind around the center of Fort Carson, which go up and down a few hills.  Somewhere under the two mile mark, I felt like I wanted/had to walk.  I think I slowed down for a single step, before I rallied back and slowed to a comfortable job - and powered on!  I'm thankful that I slowed down, especially since the hills were soon to come.  I found it a little odd that at the turn-around point, my Garmin wasn't registering that we were at 3 miles.  The hills were challenging, and after the first one, I realized there were more to come - doh!  Around the 4.5 mile mark, I thought I had to pee - not good!  What, was I going to cop a squat under a tree on a military installation?  Probably not a good idea!  I kept going and the finish line finally appeared, closer than I expected.  On the straightaway, I stepped it up and ran in like a champ, focusing on my form and lengthening my strides.

Short shirt = faux belly.  Not cute!  [Source]

Must invest in new running attire!  [Source]

Victory!  Well, 25th place, but it was still a win for me!  I ran it without stopping, as I'd hoped, and my average pace was 10:07 min/mile, which isn't far off from my unspoken goal of sub-10.  My final time was 54:36.  This is both the furthest and the longest I've run to date.  It's crazy to think that I ran for almost an hour, considering that I really only started running in mid-January.  I felt amazing coming through the finish line, and there was great support from the volunteers along the way.  I had to yell out, "This is my first 10K!" as I was almost at the finish line.  I also got great kudos from one of the Garrison Commander's Sergeant Majors, who said I was ready to go when I told him about BMT!    

Random side note - there was a small vender's booth giving away what looked to be a sports drink.  Um, no, it was a hangover recovery drink, complete with supplements in the lid!  Really?!  I can't imagine trying to qualify for a big race while being hungover, but a friend says people do it and DH says soldiers will show up to PT formation still smelling like alcohol.  I took it home, but I highly doubt DH or I will take those shady supplements (neither of us drink alcohol).    

That's all for now, friends!  My knees are definitely feeling the run today, which is atypical for me, but this was my longest run to date.  I may need to take it easy on Monday.  I came home after the race and took a long nap, which was must-deserved!


Lou said...

yay!!!! How awesome, you are awesome no stops! Bad ass!! Good Job

Our Little Fam said...

That is awesome!!! Great job!!

Erin said...

Thanks Lou & Fam! It was a great day and I'm glad I got out there and did it!

Taryn said...

Congrats congrats CONGRATS!!!! I'm so proud of you; and completely inspired myself!

Sarah Kelly said...

Congratulations! Sometimes signing up last minute is the way to go; you don't have time to think about it too much! :)

K. Syrah said...


Michelle A'etonu said...

you're awesome! way to go :)

Erin said...

Thanks everyone! I hoping to feel even more awesome by the time my next race comes around!

Kindle said...

Congratulations! 25 is a lucky number! ;)

Erin said...

@Kindle - I was so confused by that comment at first, LOL.

Molly said...

Way to go! That is great! I ran almost 2 miles last night and thought that was an accomplishment! Thanks so much for your comment on my Cinco de Mayo post about the margarite cake! I totally need to try that now! :-) Have a great week!